A Cheap Retreat: The Top 5 Spa Secrets of Coconut Oil
Treat your body to the health boosting and healing effects of coconut oil, one of the ingredients taking the world by storm not only in our kitchens but in our bathrooms as well. Keep in mind we’re not talking about any type of coconut oil, as some forms of it can actually be harmful to our health. For example, consider MCT oil–which, is made up of both coconut oil and palm oil. You can learn more about the health benefits of MCT oil vs. coconut oil here.
If you want to start seeing the benefits of this element, be sure to use a virgin coconut oil, or an organic virgin coconut oil. The positive effects of this element can be used for a variety of lotions, ointments and spa-like treatments, and when there’s no time to visit an actual getaway these substitutions can be just what you need for a sweet-smelling pick me up. Here are the top 5 Spa Secrets of Coconut Oil:
- Dirt Remover
After your face has had a long day of sweating, rubbing, stressing and perhaps makeup, it always feels good to wash all of those impurities away. Coconut oil is a great option to clear up your skin and leave it feeling moisturized and fresh. All you have to do is:
- Take a small scoop of coconut oil in your palm.
- Rub your palms together until the coconut oil becomes a liquid.
- Begin to massage your face; cover every crevice and be sure to scrub away the makeup.
- Use a wet cloth or makeup remover pads to rub away all of the dirt and impurities.
- Finally, splash some water over your face to get rid of any remaining oil. There is no need for extra lotions or creams; the coconut oil covers each of these steps.
- Body Scrub
This is one of the easiest handmade lotions you can make, and you can alter it to your liking and favorite smells and flavors. Why bother spending $15.00 on a body scrub when you can make something just as amazing with ingredients in your pantry? Your own body scrub will leave your skin feeling soft and silky. Here are the basics:
1 cup of Sugar- White or Brown
1 cup of Virgin Coconut oil
- Blend these ingredients together in a bowl.
- Add any extra ingredients you’d like; mint, cocoa, essential oils, etc.
- Store in an air-tight container.
- Get a small amount in your palm, and use the scrub in the shower. Rinse thoroughly.
- Shaving Cream
Shaving has never been a relaxing experience, but you can breathe a little easier knowing that your shaving cream is chemical free and safe for you to use. Making your own is a great way to save money and choose the smell and texture you’d like. You will need:
½ cup of Coconut Oil
¼ cup of Olive Oil or Grapeseed Oil
½ cup of Shea Butter
6-8 drops of Essential Oils (Optional)
- Melt the coconut oil and shea butter together.
- Once cooled, add in the olive oil and essential oils of your choice.
- Store in an airtight container.
- Spread evenly on legs and let sit for a few minutes to soften skin before shaving. Rinse.
Extra ingredients suggested include Aloe Vera to soften the hair, and baking soda, which you can beat with the previous ingredients to get a fluffy shaving cream texture.
- Hair Treatment
For hair that sometimes looks as tired as we feel, be sure to treat it with a coconut oil hair mask that will bring it back to its smooth and shiny self again. This process can take a little as forty minutes, but if you have extra time be sure to leave this mask in as long as possible. You will need:
½ cup of melted Coconut Oil
Towel or Shower Cap
- Comb through towel-dried hair to get rid of any tangles.
- To ensure you get all of your hair, section pieces off as necessary to keep track.
- Take small amounts of your melted coconut oil and run them through your hair from root to tip.
- Using a towel or shower cap, leave the treatment in for at least 30 minutes or more if available.
- Rinse out with shampoo.
Doing this at least once a week will be beneficial to your hair, nourishing dry ends and giving it a healthier look. Target dry areas more frequently if desired.
- Prevent Stretch Marks
We get them from all different kinds of things; pregnancy, weight change, stress, etc. Stretch marks can be beautiful, but for those who would prefer to lessen the physical evidence, coconut oil can be a great help. You will need:
½ cup of Shea Butter
½ cup of Coconut Oil
Essential Oils (Optional)
This kind of recipe can be played with; what is most important though, is that the coconut oil is the star of your recipe. Massage the oil into your skin as often as possible; it will do many great things for your skin as well as help and possibly prevent stretch marks.
Other amazing options that coconut oil can create in your mini-spa retreat include lip balms, natural toothpastes, deodorant bars and lotion for dry hands and feet. If you already have favorite ingredients, smells and herbs, feel free to start experimenting with different kinds of lotions that you can store in your bathroom for daily use.
What kind of things do you make with coconut oil? Do you have any suggestions for more spa specialties?6